The Kennebec Boat & Canoe Company built its first canoes in December of 1909 (per Company Ledgers). The company was founded by George F. Terry, who was formerly a railroad station agent, ice cutter, publisher and merchandiser. Terry’s son, George F. Terry, Jr. later joined the company and ran it until 1939. In 1939, the company was sold to Frank Terry and James Dean (Millis). A small number of canoes were built until the factory was closed for good in 1941.
Walter D. Grant was Supervisor of the Kennebec Boat & Canoe Company from its inception in 1909. Prior to that, Grant lived with his parents and was listed in the 1900 US Census as being a painter. Grant, described on his WWI draft card as of stocky build with blue eyes, brown hair and missing parts of some fingers, was married to wife Mary, and had two children, Clifford (b. 1906) and Marguerite (b. 1909). Walter had a twin brother, Wendell B. Grant, who worked for E.M. White’s canoe business most of his life. Walter’s sister Delia l. Grant was married to E.M. White.
In 1930, Grant left Kennebec to found the Skowhegan Boat & Canoe Company.
- Heart-shaped decks.
- Short rail caps on open gunwale canoes are usual.
- Serial Number: 4 to 6 digit number + length stamped on stem or on brass builder’s plate. Format typically the same as Old Town. Records are available through WCHA.
Kennebec Canoe Models
|Model||Dimensions (LxWxD)||Years Produced||Notes|
|Charles River 1915||15x31x12|
|1915-1917||Modified Kennebec model|
|Maine Guides Model||18½x37½x13|
|Open Gunwale Canoe||16x33x12|
|1915-1933||25' offered 1940-1941|
|White Water Canoe||15½x37½x12½||1940-1941||Original form by Dan Neal|